Sunday, July 25, 2004

"Ladies and Gentlemen..."

 
It's a poorly hidden fact that I am possessed of an addictive personality.  Indeed, as I reflect back on my life thus far, it can be fairly accurately described as a series of obsessions supplanting obsessions.  This affects nearly every aspect of my life, but settles most heavily on romance and entertainment.  For brevity's sake I won't get into the former, but the latter is where the following project stems out of. 

In no way do I consider it odd to have a series of entertainment obsessions.  Most people in American and British culture have experienced some form of this in their lives.  Mine have been fairly typical: toys, cartoons, comic books, and music, with movies running constant throughout.  But there are levels of obsession, and I think that I'm up there near the top.  From the start, I was into collections: stuffed animals, baseball cards, 32 oz. plastic cups, bottle caps, McDonalds Happy Meal toys, comic books again, and now music.

The exciting - and sometimes frustrating - part of being a music fan is that just having the CD is rarely enough.  The real fan wants every bit of ephemera he or she can get their hands on: books, import singles, posters, t-shirts, stickers, bath soap.  The fan that is really lucky is into an artist with such mass appeal that the Hollywood powers that be decide to give them their own movie.  A movie, starring the musician, with music by the musician, and somewhat based on that musician's own life experience.   Could there be a project more ego-based than this?  Could there be a project any more likely to fulfill a fan's obsessions?

So this is where I come in.  One fateful day, after partaking of Prince's baffling 1991 film Graffiti Bridge, I felt the need to put my confusion and bewilderment to paper.  From there, of course, compulsion took hold, and I decided that it would be a worthwhile venture to watch as many music-related films as possible, and to write about each and every one.

It took some research and whittling to get a suitable list.  I work off the criteria bolded above for the majority of the films.  However, the biographical ego-project may be the most compelling of all forms of music movies, but it is not the only one.  I will also be dabbling in other categories, including concert films, documentaries, regular movies starring musicians, biopics starring other actors or musicians, and films about fictional bands or musicians. 

I plan to publish one new review per week until I run out of them.  The first review will be up very soon, and the title of this post is a clue as to what that film might be.  Any guesses?

As you'll see, the field of music movies is full of land mines.   Allow me to be your guide.

No comments: